This cake was amazing when I baked it the other day for the outlaws. I must admit though, I added the sparkles just to annoy my husband who refers to edible sparkles as unicorn puke. He’s lucky he’s even is allowed to eat my cake. And yes, it is from a book, but given it looks nothing like the recipe, it’s alright to reproduce I reckon.
Cake– 240ml (8&1/2oz)milk, 15g (1/2oz) hot chocolate powder, 1 large shot of espresso (I guess you could use half a cup of strong coffee), 80g (3oz) margarine (softened) , 280g (10oz) caster sugar, 240g (8&1/2 oz) plain flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 large eggs, 1 cup roughly chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
Frosting: 50ml (1&1/3 fl oz)milk, 30g (1oz) hot chocolate powder, 500g icing sugar (1lb 2oz confectioners sugar), 160g (5&1/2 oz) unsalted butter, chocolate sprinkles/sparkles/any other unicorn puke you can get ahold of.
1) Heat oven to 180c (350f)
2) Heat milk in microwave, add hot cocoa powder & coffee. Then either use an electric whisk or electric mixer to add all other ingredients.
3) Pour batter into a greased 8 or 10 inch round tin (or any any tin you have really! I used a spring loaded one so it came out easily), bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick or chopstick comes out clean from the middle. Timing will change depending on size of tin.
4) Dissolve the 30g of hot chocolate in the 50ml of milk. In the mixer, beat up the sugar and room temp butter. Slowly add the chocolate mix.
5) Beat on high until super fluffy.
6) When cake is totally cool (overnight or freezer help), frost away!